So here it is- Pita Pizza! The best part is that everyone can make their own mini pizza with this and happily eat without complaining!
Here is what you need for Pita Pizza:
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread (always try for 100% whole wheat)
- Grated Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza Sauce (I like organic, whatever you get, make sure it has very few ingredients & avoiding sugar- it is even better without sugar, I promise!) I like Mario Batali sauce- ( the only ingredients are: San Marzano Tomatoes, Fresh Basil. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Sea Salt)
- Toppings- whatever you like!
* put the pita on a tray, brush with olive oil and place in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes or so- just to soften it up
* Take the pita out of the oven and apply the sauce around the pita leaving the edges to hold
* apply toppings (pepperoni, ground beef, veggies, whatever you like)
* apply cheese
* Place in 350 oven until cheese is melted and pita is to your desired crispness
Here is our family run down:
Dave: mini Hormel peperoni's
Izzy: Plain old Cheese!
Jenica: Broccoli- lots of it! (I get the "Steam Fresh" broccoli bags and make that for the family and add some chopped up pieces to my pizza)
Ellie: for some reason she doesn't like cheese- no idea where she got that- so she takes the pita out of the oven (with the olive oil on it) and puts hummus or bruschetta on it and cuts it like pizza- whatever floats her boat!
There you have it- super easy and really yummy!